A blog for young adult book lovers

Nine Days by Fred Hiatt

Nine DaysSynopsis from Goodreads: A fast-paced contemporary thriller in the vein of James Patterson and Anthony Horowitz set against the bustling backdrop of Hong Kong, Vietnam, and the border of China. This heart-pounding adventure takes place as two teens, an American teenage boy and his friend, a Chinese girl from his Washington, DC-area high school, must find her father who has been kidnapped—and they only have nine days. Although the characters in the novel are fictionalized, they are based on a real Chinese family who were part of the Chinese Democracy Movement and inspired this story.

Number of pages: 256
My review: Seeing as that I've been to China (and Hong Kong) I absolutely loved this book. It definitely took me back to all the culture, sights, sounds, and just amazingness that is China. Not only that but I loved how the author implemented the political sector and what is going on, not only in China, but also in the United States as well. It was implemented in such a way that it wasn't like I was reading all this information about politics that I was bored, it flowed well with the story line, and really pulled the whole story together very nicely.
I also loved how this was based on a true story, so I could totally imagine a lot of this stuff happening. All the different situations that Ti-Anna and Ethan got into. It was extremely fast paced, and just kept flowing and flowing. Definitely makes me wish I was back in China *nostalgia*
When I was finished reading I was kinda wishing that there would be a sequel! It ended on sort of cliff-hanger ending, but also tied up a lot of loose ends, and left me feeling overall pleased with the whole novel. This definitely inspired me to want to read more novels on Asia in general, or novels about kidnapping and social unrest in communist China.
You're sort of getting a history lesson, action adventure, and tour of China and Hong Kong, all in one book. It wasn't overpowering, super easy to read, and I loved the whole darn thing. Ti-Anna and Ethan were really strong characters who were just smart. It's not often I come across characters that actually have some common sense (they're all either so in love that they can't think straight, or just so engrossed in become a mythical creature and trying to discover who they are that there's no room to show off their intelligence.)
Anyways, I would definitely recommend this for adults and young adults it was so great! I gave it 5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads!
See you soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright: The Paige-Turner. Powered by Blogger.

© The Paige Turner, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena